Greek lentil soup also known as “fakes” in Greek, is a hearty and comforting dish that is perfect for a cold winter day. This traditional recipe is made with lentils, tomatoes, onions, and a variety of spices. Greek lentil soup is a healthy and satisfying meal that is easy to make and is sure to be a crowd-pleaser. In this recipe, we will show you how to make a delicious Greek lentil soup that is perfect for any occasion.
Fakes (Greek Lentil Soup)
- 8 ounces Brown Lentils
- 1/4 cup Olive Oil
- 1 tbsp Garlic minced
- 1 Onions minced
- 1 large Carrot chopped
- 1 quart Water
- 1 pinch Oregano dried
- 1 pinch Dried Rosemary crushed
- 2 Bay Leaves
- 1 tbsp Tomato Paste
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tbsp Olive Oil or to taste
- 1 tbsp Cider Vinegar or to taste
- Place lentils in a large saucepan; cover with 1 inch of water. Place over medium-high heat and bring to a boil; cook for 10 minutes, then drain lentils into a strainer. Dry saucepan, pour in 1/4 cup olive oil, and place over medium heat. Add garlic, onion, and carrot; cook and stir until the onion has softened and turned translucent, about 5 minutes. Pour in lentils, 1 quart water, oregano, rosemary, and bay leaves. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover, and simmer for 10 minutes. Stir in tomato paste and season to taste with salt and pepper. Cover and simmer until the lentils have softened, 30 to 40 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add additional water if the soup becomes too thick. Drizzle with 1 teaspoon olive oil and vinegar to taste.
Did you make this recipe?
We’d love to see it! Nothing brings us more joy than seeing home cooks recreate our recipes in their own kitchens. If you’ve made this recipe and you’re proud of it, we want to see it! Here’s how you can share your creation with us:
- Take a picture making sure to get all the details and colours.
- Head to Instagram and post the photo, making sure to tag us at @sliceofgourmet and use the hashtag #sliceofgourmet.
- In the caption, tell us about your experience making the recipe. Did you make any modifications? Did it turn out the way you expected? What did your family and friends think of it?
- Don’t forget to share your post in the comments below so we can see it too!
- We love seeing all the different variations of our recipes, so don’t be afraid to get creative and make it your own. We can’t wait to see your version and hear about your experience making it.
- And not just that, if you have any suggestions or feedback on how we can improve the recipe, please do let us know.
Cooking is a skill that can be learned and perfected with time. Before you plan your very next meal, take a look at the recipes shared in this food blog which includes various categories. From the main course to side dishes to specialized diets as well as dessert, brunch etc – You shall find lots of recipes across various categories. You may start with something simple and then step up. You may wind up discovering for all intents and purposes that you’re really ready to cook amazing dishes that you never thought you would be able to handle.
Sharing your creations with us is also a great way for other home cooks to discover new recipes and get inspiration for their own kitchens. So don’t be shy, post your recipe picture and let us see the deliciousness you’ve created! Your appreciation, photos and tags inspire me to create more recipes for you all.