There’s something about zaatar that truly warms my heart an soul. Every time I open the jar, the aroma of the earthy spices remind me of meals we used to eat at one of our favorite restaurants in Dubai.
Zaatar and Akkawi Manakeesh
- 1 packet Quick Rise Yeast (2 tablespoons)
- 1 cup Water very warm but not hot
- 1 cup Flour
- 1.5 tbsp Salt
- 1 3/4 cup Flour
- 3 tbsp Olive oil
- Olive oil for greasing the pan or griddle
- 3/4 cup Zaatar
- 1/2 cup Olive oil
- 2 cup Akkawi cheese shredded
- Preheat your oven to 375. In the bowl of your stand mixer mix the packet of yeast with the very warm water and 1 cup of flour. Stir it and set aside in a warm place for 10-15 minutes till it gets frothy. Now add the olive oil, salt, 1 3/4 cup flour. Using your dough hook to mix the ingredients now add the flour a little at a time and mix for about 5 minutes till the dough is formed and not sticking to the sides. Place it in a well oiled bowl, cover it and set it aside in a warm place till it’s doubled in size. At this time you will punch it down to remove all the air bubbles and cut it into 8 equal parts. Set aside for 20 minutes. In the meantime roll out your rounds to form a flat pita and add a tablespoon of the zaatar mixture you made and cover the top of your pita and cover with akkawi cheese. Add your pitas to your baking sheet and bake till done.
Did you make this recipe?
Take a picture and please tag me at #sliceofgourmet. Your appreciation and pictures and tags inspires me to create more recipes for you all.