This soup should really be called “clean out your fridge soup” It’s so versatile. You can practically use any veggies you have in your fridge. I like to make this on the weekends and clear out all the veggies I have left over from the week. I put my favorite version of this vegetable soup recipe below but you can customize it to suit your needs. The flavors are so deep and just bursting with nutrients but the best part is that its an instant pot recipe.
Vegetable Barley Soup Instant Pot Version
- 6 cloves Garlic crushed
- 1 tbsp Ginger crushed
- 3 tbsp Extra Virgin Olive oil
- 1 Jalapeño chopped
- 1/2 cup Barley Pearls
- 1 box Mirepoix #traderjoes (this is just chopped onion celery and carrot)
- 1/2 cup Lima Beans frozen
- 1/2 cup Green Peas frozen
- 1/2 cup Corn frozen
- 1/2 cup Sweet potato cubed
- 1/2 cup Beets steamed and cut into pieces
- 1 tbsp better than bullion paste
- 2 tbsp Umami powder from Trader Joe’s
- 1/2 cup Chick peas cooked or canned
- 1/4 tbsp Cilantro chopped
- 1 tbsp Red pepper crushed
- 1/2 tbsp Ancho chili powder
- 2 tbsp Vegan chickenless powder from #traderjoes
- 3 Tomatoes chopped
- 1/2 tbsp Sweet peppers chopped up
- 5 cups Boiling water
- 1.5 cups Baby Spinach
- 1 tbsp Cinnamon
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tsp Turmeric
- Turn your instant pot into sauté mode add butter and olive oil. When hot, add the mirepoix, garlic, ginger and barley and stir. Now add all the veggies. Give it a good stir. When all the veggies are stirred well add the chickpeas and other beans and stir well. Add the seasoning then boiling water and the bullion paste. Stir again.
- Turn off sauté mode and turn into pressure cook for 7 minutes. Garnish with lemon juice and cilantro and potato sticks or croutons.
Did you make this recipe?
Take a picture and please tag me at #sliceofgourmet. Your appreciation and pictures and tags inspires me to create more recipes for you all.