Borani Banjan is a traditional Afghan dish that is packed with flavour and nutrition. It is made with eggplant, tomatoes, and yoghurt, and is typically served as a side dish or appetizer. The eggplant is first grilled or fried to give it a smoky and slightly charred flavour, then it’s mixed with diced tomatoes, garlic, and yoghurt, and seasoned with a variety of spices. The result is a creamy, tangy, and delicious dish that is perfect for any meal. Borani Banjan is easy to follow and can be made with simple ingredients. It’s a great way to add variety to your meals and explore different flavours and cuisines.
- 1 Eggplant cut into slices
- 4 Tomatoes chopped
- 4-5 cloves Garlic crushed
- Salt to taste
- 1 Jalapeño julienned
- 1 tbsp Tomato paste
- 1/2 tbsp Turmeric
For the white sauce:
- 1 cup Yogurt
- 1 tbsp Garlic crushed
- 1 tbsp Mint dried
- 1/4 tbsp Salt
- 1 tbsp Mint dried
- Mix and set aside
- 1 tbsp Kasmiri red chili powder
- Soak the eggplant in water with 1 tablespoon salt. Drain and dry them.
- Then heat some oil and deep fry them till light golden brown. Drain in strainer. In a pan add 1 tsp oil and add 4-5 cloves of crushed garlic.
- Add the tomatoes and salt. Cook for a few minutes then add 1 jalapeño Julienned. Cook for a few minutes then add the tomato paste and cook some more.
- After it’s well incorporated add 1/2 teaspoon turmeric and 1 teaspoon of Kashmiri red chili powder.
- Cover and cook on medium heat till tomatoes are very soft and tender. Add in your eggplant now and 1:2 cup of water.
- Cover and cook till well incorporated. Plate your eggplant in your serving dish and top with the yogurt sauce and crushed dried mint.
Did you make this recipe?
We’d love to see it! Nothing brings us more joy than seeing home cooks recreate our recipes in their own kitchens. If you’ve made this recipe and you’re proud of it, we want to see it! Here’s how you can share your creation with us:
- Take a picture making sure to get all the details and colours.
- Head to Instagram and post the photo, making sure to tag us at @sliceofgourmet and use the hashtag #sliceofgourmet.
- In the caption, tell us about your experience making the recipe. Did you make any modifications? Did it turn out the way you expected? What did your family and friends think of it?
- Don’t forget to share your post in the comments below so we can see it too!
- We love seeing all the different variations of our recipes, so don’t be afraid to get creative and make it your own. We can’t wait to see your version and hear about your experience making it.
- And not just that, if you have any suggestions or feedback on how we can improve the recipe, please do let us know.
Cooking is a skill that can be learned and perfected with time. Before you plan your very next meal, take a look at the recipes shared in this food blog which includes various categories. From the main course to side dishes to specialized diets as well as dessert, brunch etc – You shall find lots of recipes across various categories. You may start with something simple and then step up. You may wind up discovering for all intents and purposes that you’re really ready to cook amazing dishes that you never thought you would be able to handle.
Sharing your creations with us is also a great way for other home cooks to discover new recipes and get inspiration for their own kitchens. So don’t be shy, post your recipe picture and let us see the deliciousness you’ve created! Your appreciation, photos and tags inspire me to create more recipes for you all.