Spanakopita is a traditional Greek dish made of phyllo pastry filled with spinach and feta cheese. This savoury pastry is a popular appetizer or main dish and can be served hot or cold. Spanakopita is a versatile recipe that can be made in a variety of ways, but typically it is made by layering phyllo dough with a filling of spinach, feta cheese, and herbs, and then baking it in the oven.
Spanakopita (Greek Spinach Pie)
- 1 stick Butter
- 1 1/4 cup Milk
- 1/4 cup Flour
- Red pepper flakes to taste
- Salt to taste
- 1 cup Parsley chopped
- 1 box Phyllo pastry sheets
- 3/4 tbsp Nutmeg
- 1/2 cup Ricotta cheese
- 1/4 cup Cheese shredded
- 3 cup Feta cheese crumbled
- 2 Eggs
- 4 cloves Garlic
- 1 bag Baby Spinach washed washed and chopped
- Melt 2 sticks of butter in a small sauce pan In another pan melt 1 stick of butter add crushed garlic cloves, salt, nutmeg and flour. Cook till fragrant about 3-4 minutes.
- Now add the milk and cook it for 4-5 minutes. While your white sauce is simmering crumble up the feta and mix it with the egg and add it to the saucepan with the white sauce.
- Now add the other cheeses and cook it for a few more minutes take it off the stove and add the spinach and parsley.
- Now set up your work station. Take the dish you want to bake the Spanakopita in and use the butter you melted and butter your dish.
- Now layer the phyllo sheets on it. You have to butter each sheet do this with about 10 sheets.
- Now add the cheese and spinach mixture and again layer the sheets on top of the cheese mixture. Butter each sheet. Score your dish like a grid.
- Bake at 375 till golden brown
Did you make this recipe?
We’d love to see it! Nothing brings us more joy than seeing home cooks recreate our recipes in their own kitchens. If you’ve made this recipe and you’re proud of it, we want to see it! Here’s how you can share your creation with us:
- Take a picture making sure to get all the details and colours.
- Head to Instagram and post the photo, making sure to tag us at @sliceofgourmet and use the hashtag #sliceofgourmet.
- In the caption, tell us about your experience making the recipe. Did you make any modifications? Did it turn out the way you expected? What did your family and friends think of it?
- Don’t forget to share your post in the comments below so we can see it too!
- We love seeing all the different variations of our recipes, so don’t be afraid to get creative and make it your own. We can’t wait to see your version and hear about your experience making it.
- And not just that, if you have any suggestions or feedback on how we can improve the recipe, please do let us know.
Cooking is a skill that can be learned and perfected with time. Before you plan your very next meal, take a look at the recipes shared in this food blog which includes various categories. From the main course to side dishes to specialized diets as well as dessert, brunch etc – You shall find lots of recipes across various categories. You may start with something simple and then step up. You may wind up discovering for all intents and purposes that you’re really ready to cook amazing dishes that you never thought you would be able to handle.
Sharing your creations with us is also a great way for other home cooks to discover new recipes and get inspiration for their own kitchens. So don’t be shy, post your recipe picture and let us see the deliciousness you’ve created! Your appreciation, photos and tags inspire me to create more recipes for you all.