Tomato chutney is a must-have in our home. I love the spice and the tanginess it adds although many times I grab a spoon and eat it right out of the bowl. We eat it with pretty much everything but my favourite way to eat it is with fried eggs.
Tomato chutney is easy to make and can be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to a week. This recipe is a great way to add some Indian flavour to your meals, and it’s a condiment that will quickly become a staple in your kitchen.
- 8-10 Tomatoes ripe
- 3 tbsp Oil
- 2 Jalapeños
- 6-8 Garlic Pods
- Salt to taste
- Red chili powder to taste
- 8 Curry Leaves
- 2 Red Chilies dried
- 2 tbsp Black Mustard Seeds
- 1/2 Juice of lemon
- 1/2 tbsp Turmeric
- 2 tbsp Kashmiri red chili powder
- 1. In a blender purée tomatoes, garlic and jalapeños 2. In a pan heat the oil. When hot add the curry leaves and black mustard seeds. When it sputters add the puréed tomatoes. Stir well. Now add the salt and the rest of the spices. 3. Cook it on medium flame till it’s reduced to half. When it’s dark red and the oil comes to the top, turn off the heat and add the lemon juice.
Did you make this recipe?
We’d love to see it! Nothing brings us more joy than seeing home cooks recreate our recipes in their own kitchens. If you’ve made this recipe and you’re proud of it, we want to see it! Here’s how you can share your creation with us:
- Take a picture making sure to get all the details and colours.
- Head to Instagram and post the photo, making sure to tag us at @sliceofgourmet and use the hashtag #sliceofgourmet.
- In the caption, tell us about your experience making the recipe. Did you make any modifications? Did it turn out the way you expected? What did your family and friends think of it?
- Don’t forget to share your post in the comments below so we can see it too!
- We love seeing all the different variations of our recipes, so don’t be afraid to get creative and make it your own. We can’t wait to see your version and hear about your experience making it.
- And not just that, if you have any suggestions or feedback on how we can improve the recipe, please do let us know.
Cooking is a skill that can be learned and perfected with time. Before you plan your very next meal, take a look at the recipes shared in this food blog which includes various categories. From the main course to side dishes to specialized diets as well as dessert, brunch etc – You shall find lots of recipes across various categories. You may start with something simple and then step up. You may wind up discovering for all intents and purposes that you’re really ready to cook amazing dishes that you never thought you would be able to handle.
Sharing your creations with us is also a great way for other home cooks to discover new recipes and get inspiration for their own kitchens. So don’t be shy, post your recipe picture and let us see the deliciousness you’ve created! Your appreciation, photos and tags inspire me to create more recipes for you all.