Gemista is a traditional Greek dish that is a combination of flavours and nutrition. It’s a stuffed vegetable dish, typically made with tomatoes, peppers, onions and coloured bell peppers, which are hollowed out and filled with a mixture of rice, herbs, and sometimes ground meat. It is a great way to use up the summer’s bountiful harvest of vegetables. Gemista is then baked in the oven, creating a flavorful and tender meal. Gemista is easy to follow and can be made with simple ingredients. It’s a perfect dish for a family dinner or a special occasion.
Gemista – Greek Stuffed Peppers and Tomatoes
- 6 large Colored Bell peppers hollowed out
- 6 Tomatoes hollowed out
- 1 lb Ground beef lean
- 1/2 cup Olive oil
- 1 teaspoon Oregano
- 1 teaspoon Red chilies crushed
- 1 bottle Pasta sauce
- 2 Onions sliced
- 8 cloves Garlic crushed
- 1 Lemon juice
- 1/2 packet Orzo
- 4 Potatoes sliced into thick wedges
- 1 cup Chicken stock
- Heat olive oil in your instant pot on sauté mode Add onions and garlic.
- When they are translucent and fragrant add your meat and stir.
- Add salt, pepper, crushed red chilies, umami powder & oregano.
- Add your pasta sauce stir well.
- Turn off sauté mode and close your lid and set to manual pressure.
- Cook for 20 minutes and quick release.
- In the meantime boil water and cook your orzo till it’s done.
- Drain and set aside.
- Your beef mixture should be ready now.
- You will now add the orzo to your meat and mix well.
- Oil your baking dish and set out your hollowed out tomatoes and peppers on it.
- Fill your peppers and tomatoes with the filling.
- Take your chicken stock and pour it in the bottom of your baking dish and pour some olive oil on top of it.
- put your sliced onions and potatoes in between the peppers and tomatoes.
- Cover with foil and bake for about 45 minutes covered and then remove the cover and bake for 20 minutes more.
- Squeeze the lemon juice on top of the peppers and potatoes and serve hot.
We’d love to see it! Nothing brings us more joy than seeing home cooks recreate our recipes in their own kitchens. If you’ve made this recipe and you’re proud of it, we want to see it! Here’s how you can share your creation with us:
- Take a picture making sure to get all the details and colours.
- Head to Instagram and post the photo, making sure to tag us at @sliceofgourmet and use the hashtag #sliceofgourmet.
- In the caption, tell us about your experience making the recipe. Did you make any modifications? Did it turn out the way you expected? What did your family and friends think of it?
- Don’t forget to share your post in the comments below so we can see it too!
- We love seeing all the different variations of our recipes, so don’t be afraid to get creative and make it your own. We can’t wait to see your version and hear about your experience making it.
- And not just that, if you have any suggestions or feedback on how we can improve the recipe, please do let us know.
Cooking is a skill that can be learned and perfected with time. Before you plan your very next meal, take a look at the recipes shared in this food blog which includes various categories. From the main course to side dishes to specialized diets as well as dessert, brunch etc – You shall find lots of recipes across various categories. You may start with something simple and then step up. You may wind up discovering for all intents and purposes that you’re really ready to cook amazing dishes that you never thought you would be able to handle.
Sharing your creations with us is also a great way for other home cooks to discover new recipes and get inspiration for their own kitchens. So don’t be shy, post your recipe picture and let us see the deliciousness you’ve created! Your appreciation, photos and tags inspire me to create more recipes for you all.