Growing up I used to watch my mom make khubani ka meetha and it always looked so incredibly labor intensive. It took her several hours to put it together. I am not one to spend so long making one dessert so I simplified her recipe and added a few shortcuts and lo and behold I have a quick and easy khubani ka meetha recipe for you’ll. I hope you enjoy it as much as we do. Do let me know your thoughts if you do try it.
Khubani ka Meetha
- 1 bag (about 3 cups) of dried khubani
- 4 cups of custard (I like the birds brand sweetened custard) made according to package instructions
- 2-3 cups of heavy cream whippedtill stiff
- 1 package of Sara Lee pound cakeor any pound cake of your choice
- Wash the khubani (apricot)
- Soak the dried khubani (apricots) in water over night. By the next day it should be plump and juicy
- Now take the seed out from each of the apricots and set aside. Do not throw the water away.
- In a pan add the reseeded apricots and about 3/4-1 cup sugar depending on how sweet you want it.
- Using a masher, mash up the apricots and let it cook on medium heat till it becomes a jam. Set the jam aside
- In another pan add the reserved water from the soaked apricots and add 1/4 cup sugar and let it come to a complete boil and set aside. Make the custard according to packs instructions.
- Wash the seeds and crack them. Take out the nut from the center and set aside.
- In your trifle bowl cut the cake into thick slices and layer it on the bottom of the bowl. Brush your cake generously with the syrup you made above
- Now add a thick layer of the apricot jam. Spoon about 1/2 the custard and again layer with cake.
- Brush with the syrup.
- Spread a generous layer of the jam.
- Spoon the remaining custard on top.
- Spread on your whipped cream and garnish with the chopped nuts.
- Chill for at least 3-4 hours and enjoy