Many years ago my mom’s friend came over with these cookies and in an instant, our cookie standards were elevated. It is the gold star of cookies. One bite and we were hooked. Mom got the recipe and kept making it for us throughout our childhood. Now, moms recipes are absolutely fabulous but she never takes any shortcuts and I LOVE quick and easy hacks.
Ingredients for the shortbread base:
- 1 cup butter
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups of all purpose flour
- 1 tsp vanilla
Ingredients for caramel:
- 1 bag of Kraft caramels
- 1/4 stick of butter
- 3/4 cup heavy cream
- Pinch of salt
Method for cookies:
- Using a stand mixer beat the butter and sugar till pale and then add the vanilla.
- Add all the dry ingredients one large table spoon at a time and mix till incorporated. Don’t over mix it.
- Flatten it into a 10×10 square baking dish
- Poke holes in the dough and bakeat 375 till golden brown
Method for caramel:
- In a heavy bottom pan, add all ofthe above ingredients and let it melt into a creamy consistency. Make sure youkeep stirring it so that it doesn’t stick and burn. Keep stirring and you’llend up with a creamy, buttery caramel.
- Pour the caramel onto the baked cookie base and spread evenly.
- Immediately add your chocolatechips and let it melt. Make sure you use really good quality chocolate becauseit makes all the difference. I use a combination of milk and darkchocolate.
- Spread it all over the caramel gently so that you have 3 separate layers.
- Let it cool till firm. I usually pop it into the fridge for a short time then cut into squares and enjoy.