Date halva is a traditional Middle Eastern sweet made from dates, ghee, and cashews. It is a rich and decadent treat that is perfect for any occasion. The recipe for date halva is quite simple and requires only a few ingredients. Date halva can be served warm or chilled and is often garnished with chopped nuts or seeds for added texture and flavour. Ghee is a clarified butter that is commonly used in Indian and Middle Eastern cuisine, it gives the date halva a buttery richness and nutty flavour.
- 2 cups of pitted dates
- 1 cup boiling water
- 4 tablespoons of good quality ghee
- 3/4 cup sugar to taste
- 1 cup whole milk powder
- 1 cup almond meal
- 1 healthy pinch of saffron
- 2 tsp cardamom powder
- 3/4 cup cashews
- Coconut flakes for garnish.
- Method: Place the pitted dates in a bowl and cover with the boiling water. Let that sit for20 minutes then blend to a smooth consistency.Heat the ghee in a heavy bottom pan and add the date mixture. Stir well and add the sugar, milk powder, almond meal, saffron and cardamom powder. Stir well till it does not stick to the sides of the pan. Now fold in the cashews Prepare your square 7 inch baking pan by covering with parchment paper brushing with gheePour the halva into the pan. Smooth it out and dust with coconut. Refrigerate till firm. Cut into desired shapes and enjoy.
Did you make this recipe?
We’d love to see it! Nothing brings us more joy than seeing home cooks recreate our recipes in their own kitchens. If you’ve made this recipe and you’re proud of it, we want to see it! Here’s how you can share your creation with us:
- Take a picture making sure to get all the details and colours.
- Head to Instagram and post the photo, making sure to tag us at @sliceofgourmet and use the hashtag #sliceofgourmet.
- In the caption, tell us about your experience making the recipe. Did you make any modifications? Did it turn out the way you expected? What did your family and friends think of it?
- Don’t forget to share your post in the comments below so we can see it too!
- We love seeing all the different variations of our recipes, so don’t be afraid to get creative and make it your own. We can’t wait to see your version and hear about your experience making it.
- And not just that, if you have any suggestions or feedback on how we can improve the recipe, please do let us know.
Cooking is a skill that can be learned and perfected with time. Before you plan your very next meal, take a look at the recipes shared in this food blog which includes various categories. From the main course to side dishes to specialized diets as well as dessert, brunch etc – You shall find lots of recipes across various categories. You may start with something simple and then step up. You may wind up discovering for all intents and purposes that you’re really ready to cook amazing dishes that you never thought you would be able to handle.
Sharing your creations with us is also a great way for other home cooks to discover new recipes and get inspiration for their own kitchens. So don’t be shy, post your recipe picture and let us see the deliciousness you’ve created! Your appreciation, photos and tags inspire me to create more recipes for you all.