Chicken with Atha Sauce is a traditional East African dish that typically features chicken cooked in a flavorful tomato-based sauce with spices such as cumin, ginger, and garlic. The dish is often served with rice or chapati (a type of flatbread). It is a popular meal in countries such as Ethiopia, Kenya, and Somalia.
When I think of comfort food, this dish immediately comes to mind. The flavorful chicken, the spicy sauce and the rice and potatoes envelop me in all of the warm and toasty feels. This is a staple on my thanksgiving table right along with the traditional turkey day dishes. It’s a great weeknight dinner that’s quick and easy to make.
Chicken With Atha Sauce
Ingredients For The Sauce:
- 1 can Tomato purée 14 oz
- 4 tbsp Lemon juice
- Red chili powder to taste
- 1 tbsp Ginger
- 3 tbsp Garlic paste
- 2 Green chilies or to taste
- 1 Onion
- Salt to taste
- 3 tbsp Oil
Ingredients For The Rice:
- 3 cup Basmati rice washed
- 2 tbsp Cumin seed ( you can add more if you prefer)
- 1 Chicken cube crushed
- 1 tbsp Butter
- 1 Onion sliced
- 2-3 Potatoes cut in pieces
Method For The Chicken:
- Purée all of the sauce ingredients. Reserve 1/2 the marinade pour the rest of the marinade all over the chicken, under the skin and in the cavity. Cut half an onion and lemon and slices of butter and put in the cavity and a couple of garlic cloves. Bake at 375 covered till done. For the last few min start the broiler to get a good char. with the reserved marinade, heat a little oil add some cumin seed and put in the remaining marinade. Add 1 tablespoon tomato paste and red chili powder and salt and let it thicken. Pour this over your cooked chicken.
For The Rice:
- Wash rice and set aside. Cut potatoes. In your instant pot. Heat oil fry cumin seed onions then add potatoes and crushed chicken cube and salt to taste. Now add your rice and 3 1/2 cups of water. Close your IP, seal and press rice. Layer your rice on your serving dish. Add your chicken and pour on the sauce and garnish with chopped cilantro.
Did you make this recipe?
We’d love to see it! Nothing brings us more joy than seeing home cooks recreate our recipes in their own kitchens. If you’ve made this recipe and you’re proud of it, we want to see it! Here’s how you can share your creation with us:
- Take a picture making sure to get all the details and colours.
- Head to Instagram and post the photo, making sure to tag us at @sliceofgourmet and use the hashtag #sliceofgourmet.
- In the caption, tell us about your experience making the recipe. Did you make any modifications? Did it turn out the way you expected? What did your family and friends think of it?
- Don’t forget to share your post in the comments below so we can see it too!
- We love seeing all the different variations of our recipes, so don’t be afraid to get creative and make it your own. We can’t wait to see your version and hear about your experience making it.
- And not just that, if you have any suggestions or feedback on how we can improve the recipe, please do let us know.
Cooking is a skill that can be learned and perfected with time. Before you plan your very next meal, take a look at the recipes shared in this food blog which includes various categories. From the main course to side dishes to specialized diets as well as dessert, brunch etc – You shall find lots of recipes across various categories. You may start with something simple and then step up. You may wind up discovering for all intents and purposes that you’re really ready to cook amazing dishes that you never thought you would be able to handle.
Sharing your creations with us is also a great way for other home cooks to discover new recipes and get inspiration for their own kitchens. So don’t be shy, post your recipe picture and let us see the deliciousness you’ve created! Your appreciation, photos and tags inspire me to create more recipes for you all.