Pastichio is a traditional Greek dish that is similar to lasagna but with a twist. It’s made with layers of macaroni pasta, a meat sauce, and a creamy béchamel sauce. The meat sauce is typically made with ground beef or lamb, tomatoes, and a variety of herbs and spices. The béchamel sauce is made with milk, butter, flour and nutmeg. The dish is then baked in the oven until golden brown and bubbly.
Pastichio can be made ahead of time, and it can be stored in the refrigerator for up to 3 days or in the freezer for up to 3 months. Pastichio is a great way to enjoy a traditional Greek dish in the comfort of your own home. The dish can be served with a sprinkle of Parmesan cheese and some fresh parsley on top. Enjoy!
Pastichio (Greek Pasta Dish)
- Olive oil
- 1 box Elbow macaroni
- ar jar pasta sauce of your choice
- 1 Ib Lean Ground Beef
- 6-7 pods Garlic
- 1/2 stick Butter
- 1/2 cup Flour
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 cup Cheese shredded
- 1/2 tbsp Nutmeg
- 3 cup Milk
- 1 Onion chopped
- Boil pasta as per package directions and drain
- Turn on your instant pot on sauté mode add 1 tsp olive oil. When hot add the onions and garlic & stir well. Put the meat in and loosed the meat and mix it well. Add the pasta sauce and stir. Add 1/4 cup water. Cancel sauté mode and set to pressure cook and cook for 15 minutes on high. Quick release when done
- In the meantime start your Béchamel sauce. In a pan heat your butter and once it’s melted add your flour and mix till it’s fragrant. Add 2 cloves of crushed garlic and let it get fragrant. Now add the milk and stir constantly till all the flour is incorporated into the milk and the sauce has thickened. At this time you will put in 1/2 of the cheese and salt and pepper and nutmeg. Stir till smooth.
- Now you will layer your macaroni in your baking dish. Next you will layer your meat mixture on it and lastly you will pour your Béchamel sauce on the meat. Top with remaining cheese and bake at 350 till golden brown.
Did you make this recipe?
We’d love to see it! Nothing brings us more joy than seeing home cooks recreate our recipes in their own kitchens. If you’ve made this recipe and you’re proud of it, we want to see it! Here’s how you can share your creation with us:
- Take a picture making sure to get all the details and colours.
- Head to Instagram and post the photo, making sure to tag us at @sliceofgourmet and use the hashtag #sliceofgourmet.
- In the caption, tell us about your experience making the recipe. Did you make any modifications? Did it turn out the way you expected? What did your family and friends think of it?
- Don’t forget to share your post in the comments below so we can see it too!
- We love seeing all the different variations of our recipes, so don’t be afraid to get creative and make it your own. We can’t wait to see your version and hear about your experience making it.
- And not just that, if you have any suggestions or feedback on how we can improve the recipe, please do let us know.
Cooking is a skill that can be learned and perfected with time. Before you plan your very next meal, take a look at the recipes shared in this food blog which includes various categories. From the main course to side dishes to specialized diets as well as dessert, brunch etc – You shall find lots of recipes across various categories. You may start with something simple and then step up. You may wind up discovering for all intents and purposes that you’re really ready to cook amazing dishes that you never thought you would be able to handle.
Sharing your creations with us is also a great way for other home cooks to discover new recipes and get inspiration for their own kitchens. So don’t be shy, post your recipe picture and let us see the deliciousness you’ve created! Your appreciation, photos and tags inspire me to create more recipes for you all.