Kunafa Cupcakes are a delicious and creative twist on the traditional Middle Eastern dessert, Kunafa. These cupcakes are made with a base of crispy phyllo dough and filled with a sweet and gooey filling of cheese and soaked in a sweet syrup. They are then topped with crushed pistachios, giving them a beautiful and delicious finish. Kunafa Cupcakes are a perfect way to enjoy the classic flavour of Kunafa in a fun and portable form. They are perfect for parties, events, or as a special treat for any occasion.
- 1 package Phyllo pastry shredded
- 3 sticks Butter melted
- 2 cups Heavy Cream
- 2 tablespoons Cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon Kunafa food coloring
- 1 cup Sugar
- 3/4 cup Water
- 1 teaspoon Lemon juice
- 1/2 cup Pistachios crushed
- Heat your oven to 350
For the filling:
- Mix your cornstarch with 4 tablespoons of the heavy cream and mix till it’s smooth and runny. Set aside
- Heat your heavy cream and when it’s almost boiling add your cornstarch mixture and stir constantly.
- You should have a thick custard type mixture.
- Take it off the stove and set aside
For the phyllo:
- Open your shredded phyllo and empty into a bowl.
- Mix in your melted butter and food color and mix well and make sure all the phyllo has butter and is orange.
- Place your cupcake liners in your cupcake pan.
- Layer the buttered orange phyllo in your cupcake liners and take the back of a glass and press it down.
- They should be 1/3 of the way full.
- Now add the custard type cream you made and fill it another 1/3.
- Your liners are now 2/3 filled.
- Cover the top of the custards with the shredded phyllo.
- Do not press this down.
- It should be loose.
- Fill it till the top.
- Bake for about 20 minutes.
- Till top is goldenish and the cream is sizzling.
For the syrup:
- Heat your sugar and 3/4 cup of water and add your lemon and cook till it gets nice and sticky.
- Take the kunafa out of the oven and pour on your syrup.
- Garnish with your crushed pistachios.
- Leave the kunafa in the muffin pan while pouring syrup and let it be in the pans till they are cooled completely.
Did you make this recipe?
We’d love to see it! Nothing brings us more joy than seeing home cooks recreate our recipes in their own kitchens. If you’ve made this recipe and you’re proud of it, we want to see it! Here’s how you can share your creation with us:
- Take a picture making sure to get all the details and colours.
- Head to Instagram and post the photo, making sure to tag us at @sliceofgourmet and use the hashtag #sliceofgourmet.
- In the caption, tell us about your experience making the recipe. Did you make any modifications? Did it turn out the way you expected? What did your family and friends think of it?
- Don’t forget to share your post in the comments below so we can see it too!
- We love seeing all the different variations of our recipes, so don’t be afraid to get creative and make it your own. We can’t wait to see your version and hear about your experience making it.
- And not just that, if you have any suggestions or feedback on how we can improve the recipe, please do let us know.
Cooking is a skill that can be learned and perfected with time. Before you plan your very next meal, take a look at the recipes shared in this food blog which includes various categories. From the main course to side dishes to specialized diets as well as dessert, brunch etc – You shall find lots of recipes across various categories. You may start with something simple and then step up. You may wind up discovering for all intents and purposes that you’re really ready to cook amazing dishes that you never thought you would be able to handle.
Sharing your creations with us is also a great way for other home cooks to discover new recipes and get inspiration for their own kitchens. So don’t be shy, post your recipe picture and let us see the deliciousness you’ve created! Your appreciation, photos and tags inspire me to create more recipes for you all.