Loukoumades is probably the most popular Greek dessert. They are little balls of dough that are fried and then dipped in a honey syrup and topped with crushed walnuts. I remember walking to Kifissia square and watching the dessert shop make them in the window and thinking to myself that they had the “coolest” job in the world:)
- 2 packets Yeast small
- 1 cup Water warm
- 1/2 cup Milk
- 3/4 cup Sugar
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1/2 cup Butter softened
- 3 Eggs
- 4 cups Flour
- 1/2 cup Honey
- 1/2 cup Water
- 2 tsp Cinnamon
- Put the yeast in a bowl with the warm water for 5 minutes till it’s frothy.
- In another bowl mix warm milk, sugar and salt.
- Pour in the yeast mixture.
- Beat in the eggs, butter & flour until smooth.
- Cover and let it rise for about an hour.
- Fry by the tablespoon full
For the syrup:
- Heat honey and water boil till sticky add a splash of lemon.
- When the dough is fried French in syrup and sprinkle with cinnamon and crushed walnuts.
Did you make this recipe?
Take a picture and please tag me at #sliceofgourmet. Your appreciation and pictures and tags inspires me to create more recipes for you all.