My favorite thing to do on Saturday mornings in Greece while I was growing up was to run to the φούρνο bakery and get a boatload of these #tiropita and #soanakopita Kourou. These are not the traditional style made with phyllo these are made with a super quick and easy dough. It’s typically a village style dough. It’s soft and flavorful and quite possibly one of my most cherished memories.
My sister Azmat @innergise.pk and myself would walk to the bakery and would come back munching on these delicious pies and talking about our week and how strict our parents were😂
The most precious of memories for sure. I make these for my kids and they enjoy it as much as we did growing up. If you make this recipe, do share your thoughts with me. I love hearing from you.
Ingredients for the dough:
- 1 cup olive oil
- 1 cup whole milk yogurt
- 3 cups of flour
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- Salt to taste
Ingredients for the filling:
- 1 cup feta
- 1 cup manouri or you can use farmer cheese
- 3/4 cup chopped dill
- 1 egg
- 2 tsp olive oil
Method for the dough:
- In a stand mixer mix all the ingredients well and set aside to rest for 30 min
- Now mix all the filling ingredients in a mixer and set aside.
- Roll out your dough and make about 12 rounds.
- Fill them with the filling and seal it well.
- Brush with egg wash and sprinkle with sesame seeds.
- Bake at 375 till golden brown and enjoy!