I think I may have found the best biryani invention yet!
Last week a friend was telling me about a hariyali chicken recipe that she made and how I should try it because I love spicy food. I was all set to make it when my little one asks me to please make biryani and automatically the wheels in my head started turning and the idea of hariyali chicken biryani was born.
I took her recipe and switched a few things around to suit my taste and voila the outcome was an absolutely lip smacking, finger licking variation of biryani. I am so excited to share this recipe with you’ll. I am sure you’re going to love it as much as I do.
Hariyali Chicken Biryani
- 2 lbs boneless chicken cut in medium pieces
- 1 tbsp coriander powder
- 1 tsp red chili powder
- 1 tbsp turmeric powder
- 2 tbsp garlic paste
- 1 tsp ginger paste
- 2 -3 tbsp oil
- 2-3 potatoes cut in medium size pieces
- 1 bunch cilantro
- 1 bunch mint
- 2 green chilies
- 1 tbsp roasted cumin powder
- 2 tbsp heavy cream
- 2 tbsp chopped mint leaves
- 1 tbsp garam masala
- Juice of 1/2 a small lemon
- 2.5 cups of rice
- 2-3 green cardamom
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 healthy pinch of saffron
- 2 tbsp ghee
- 1/4 cup milk.
- Heat the oil in a wok and add the ginger and garlic paste. Cook that for a couple of minutes and add the coriander, red chili powder and turmeric. Let that cook for a couple of minutes. Add a tiny bit of water so the masalas do t burn. Now add your chicken and mix well.
- While that’s cooking, blend the cilantro and mint and 2-3 green chilies and add a little water. I added 1/4 cup.
- Mix well and now add the potatoes and let that cook.
- While that’s cooking whip about 3/4 cup yogurt with a tablespoon of roasted cumin powder. Whip that well and pour into the chicken. Taste for salt and add accordingly.
- Cover and let that cook till done and the oil comes to the top.
- Now fold in your heavy cream and gram masala
- Turn off the heat and garnish with chopped mint leaves and the juice of 1/2 a small lemon.
- Wash and soak your rice for about 30 minutes.
- In a large pot boil water with salt, bay leaves and cardamom.
- Cook the rice till 95% done strain and put half of the rice in an oven safe dish.
- Layer the hariyali chicken mixture on top of it and cover with the other half of the rice.with the back of a spoon poke holes in the rice.
- Heat the ghee, saffron & milk and pour. Over the rice.
- Cover really well with foil and place in a 250 degree oven for about 40 minutes. Garnish with chopped cilantro, fried onions and enjoy.