One of our favourite things to eat for breakfast is a fresh bagel with cream cheese, smoked salmon and capers. I used to always head to the bagel store to pick these up until I realized how easy it is to make these at home. Not only is it easy to make but sooooo much better. It’s easy to make and it’s absolutely delicious. A few tips to keep in mind is to always use lukewarm water. Cover the dough with a warm cloth while waiting for it to rise and always use a slotted spoon and drain the water completely when removing the bagel from the boiling water.
- 1 1/4 cups water
- 1 sachet instant yeast
- 4 cups flour
- 1.5 tsp salt
- 1/8 cup sugar
- In a stand mixer add the instant quick rise yeast, sugar and warm water. Let the yeast bloom for 15 minutes and when it’s all frothy and foamy add the rest of the ingredients and using a dough hook knead it till it’s smooth. This should take about 5 min
- Cover and let it rise for an hour
- Now punch down the dough and form equal sized round balls. Make a hole in the middle to form a bagel shape. Let it rest for 20 minBoil water and pop the bagels in it and let it cook for about 2 minutes on each side.
- Remove with a slotted spoon and drain the water Place it on a parchment paper lined baking sheet Brush with egg wash and top with sesame seeds or everything but the bagel seasoning
- Bake at 350 till it’s golden brown on the topIt takes me about 25-30 minutes
- Let it cool on a wire rack. Slice and smear with cream cheese and enjoy