Karhai Shrimp is a popular and flavorful dish from Pakistani and Indian cuisine. It is a spicy and tangy shrimp dish made with a base of fresh tomatoes and onion, and a variety of spices, such as cumin, ginger and garlic. The dish is typically made in a Karhai, which is a type of wok-shaped pan. It is served with rice or naan bread. Karhai Shrimp is easy to follow and can be made with simple ingredients that are readily available at most supermarkets or groceries. It’s a perfect dish for a family dinner or special occasion. Karhai Shrimp is sure to impress your guests with its bold and delicious flavours.
- 3-4 tablespoons of oil. (I useavocado oil)
- 2 lbs deveined and shelled wildshrimp
- 1 tbsp red chili powder (or totaste)
- 1/2 tsp nigella seeds
- Salt to taste
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 2 tbsp cumin powder
- 1 tbsp coriander powder
- 5-6 puréed Roma tomatoes
- 4-5 sliced green chilies
- 2 tbsp crushed garlic
- 1 tbsp crushed ginger
- 1 Sliced green chili
- 1 handful chopped cilantro
- Juice of one small lemon or totaste
- 1 pinch garam masala
- In a wok heat the oil.
- When hot add your defrosted drained shrimp and cook for 2-3 min or sotill it just about changes color.
- Remove the shrimp from the oil and set it aside.
- In the same pan add the ginger and garlic paste and let that cook fora couple of minutes. Now add the 1 tbsp red chili powder (or totaste)
- 1/2 tsp nigella seeds. Salt to taste. 1 tsp turmeric. 2 tbsp cumin powder. 1 tbsp coriander powderSauté that for a few minutes and then put the crushed tomatoes and green chillies (save 1 green chilli for garnish)
- Cook this till the oil comes to the top. Now put your shrimp back in and mix well. Cook for a couple of minutes. Be careful not to overcook the shrimp.
- Turn off the stove and squeeze the lemon juice and sprinkle the pinch of garam masala.
- Stir and garnish with sliced ginger, chopped cilantro and sliced greenchillies
We’d love to see it! Nothing brings us more joy than seeing home cooks recreate our recipes in their own kitchens. If you’ve made this recipe and you’re proud of it, we want to see it! Here’s how you can share your creation with us:
- Take a picture making sure to get all the details and colours.
- Head to Instagram and post the photo, making sure to tag us at @sliceofgourmet and use the hashtag #sliceofgourmet.
- In the caption, tell us about your experience making the recipe. Did you make any modifications? Did it turn out the way you expected? What did your family and friends think of it?
- Don’t forget to share your post in the comments below so we can see it too!
- We love seeing all the different variations of our recipes, so don’t be afraid to get creative and make it your own. We can’t wait to see your version and hear about your experience making it.
- And not just that, if you have any suggestions or feedback on how we can improve the recipe, please do let us know.
Cooking is a skill that can be learned and perfected with time. Before you plan your very next meal, take a look at the recipes shared in this food blog which includes various categories. From the main course to side dishes to specialized diets as well as dessert, brunch etc – You shall find lots of recipes across various categories. You may start with something simple and then step up. You may wind up discovering for all intents and purposes that you’re really ready to cook amazing dishes that you never thought you would be able to handle.
Sharing your creations with us is also a great way for other home cooks to discover new recipes and get inspiration for their own kitchens. So don’t be shy, post your recipe picture and let us see the deliciousness you’ve created! Your appreciation, photos and tags inspire me to create more recipes for you all.