Afghani Kabuli Pulao is a traditional and delicious rice dish that is perfect for any special occasion. This recipe is inspired by the traditional cuisine of Afghanistan and it’s a great way to enjoy a taste of the region in the comfort of your own home. Afghani Kabuli Pulao is made with a combination of long-grain rice, chickpeas, raisins and a variety of spices and herbs. The ingredients are cooked together in a pot and the result is a flavorful and aromatic dish that is perfect to be served as a main course.
Afghani Kabuli Pulao
- 3 cups Rice washed and soaked in hot water for 3-4 hours
- 3 tablespoons Cumin seeds
- 7 green Cardamoms
- 7 black Cardamoms
- 3 tablespoons Cooking oil
- 2 Onions sliced
- 2 Carrots cut in matchsticks or you can use the pre shredded ones
- 2 cups Tri color raisins
- 3 tablespoons of Cumin seeds, 7 Green cardamoms & 7 Black cardamoms
- Grind them to make a fine powder and set aside.
- Thinly slice the onions and fry the onions on medium heat till translucent then add salt
- Now add 1 tablespoon of the prepared powder
- Add 1/2 cup of water
- Cut your carrots into matchsticks or add the pre shredded ones to the onions and then add the raisins.
- Mix well and add 3 cups of water.
- Again stir and add the soaked rice.
- Make sure its mixed well. Stir gently every few minutes till done.
- The rice will cook quickly as its been soaking for a few hours. It should take about 7-8 minutes but as each stove is different please keep an eye on it.
- Cook till almost done and then add 1 and a half tablespoons of the prepared powder.
- Poke holes in the rice and cover your pan for 3 minutes high heat and 20 minutes on low heat.
- Your Kabuli pulao is now ready to eat.
We’d love to see it! Nothing brings us more joy than seeing home cooks recreate our recipes in their own kitchens. If you’ve made this recipe and you’re proud of it, we want to see it! Here’s how you can share your creation with us:
- Take a picture making sure to get all the details and colours.
- Head to Instagram and post the photo, making sure to tag us at @sliceofgourmet and use the hashtag #sliceofgourmet.
- In the caption, tell us about your experience making the recipe. Did you make any modifications? Did it turn out the way you expected? What did your family and friends think of it?
- Don’t forget to share your post in the comments below so we can see it too!
- We love seeing all the different variations of our recipes, so don’t be afraid to get creative and make it your own. We can’t wait to see your version and hear about your experience making it.
- And not just that, if you have any suggestions or feedback on how we can improve the recipe, please do let us know.
Cooking is a skill that can be learned and perfected with time. Before you plan your very next meal, take a look at the recipes shared in this food blog which includes various categories. From the main course to side dishes to specialized diets as well as dessert, brunch etc – You shall find lots of recipes across various categories. You may start with something simple and then step up. You may wind up discovering for all intents and purposes that you’re really ready to cook amazing dishes that you never thought you would be able to handle.
Sharing your creations with us is also a great way for other home cooks to discover new recipes and get inspiration for their own kitchens. So don’t be shy, post your recipe picture and let us see the deliciousness you’ve created! Your appreciation, photos and tags inspire me to create more recipes for you all.