Kabuli Pulao is my absolute favorite thing to eat. The sweetness of the raisins and the savory spices with the slivers of tender carrots and the perfectly cooked grains of rice truly elevates any meal to the next level especially when it’s paired with Chapli Kabab and drizzled with the famous yogurt sauce.
Afghani Kabuli Pulao
- 3 cups Rice washed and soaked in hot water for 3-4 hours
- 3 tablespoons Cumin seeds
- 7 green Cardamoms
- 7 black Cardamoms
- 3 tablespoons Cooking oil
- 2 Onions sliced
- 2 Carrots cut in matchsticks or you can use the pre shredded ones
- 2 cups Tri color raisins
- 3 tablespoons of Cumin seeds, 7 Green cardamoms & 7 Black cardamoms
- Grind them to make a fine powder and set aside.
- Thinly slice the onions and fry the onions on medium heat till translucent then add salt
- Now add 1 tablespoon of the prepared powder
- Add 1/2 cup of water
- Cut your carrots into matchsticks or add the pre shredded ones to the onions and then add the raisins.
- Mix well and add 3 cups of water.
- Again stir and add the soaked rice.
- Make sure its mixed well. Stir gently every few minutes till done.
- The rice will cook quickly as its been soaking for a few hours. It should take about 7-8 minutes but as each stove is different please keep an eye on it.
- Cook till almost done and then add 1 and a half tablespoons of the prepared powder.
- Poke holes in the rice and cover your pan for 3 minutes high heat and 20 minutes on low heat.
- Your Kabuli pulao is now ready to eat.
Did you make this recipe?
Take a picture and please tag me at #sliceofgourmet. Your appreciation and pictures and tags inspires me to create more recipes for you all.