To add the potato or not? That’s the age old question. I am a firm potato lover and cannot fathom making my biryani without it. Biryani is an essential part of every South Asian household. Weather it’s a celebratory meal or a basic weeknight dinner, biryani is a must!
Instant Pot Mutton Biryani
Marinade for the mutton:
- 3 lbs Mutton
- 6 teaspoons Garlic paste
- 4 teaspoons Ginger paste
- 1/2 cup Yogurt
- 1 Lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon Turmeric
- 1 teaspoon Red Chili powder
Masala for the biryani:
- 7 teaspoons Coriander seeds
- 3 teaspoons Cumin seeds
- 7-8 dried Red Chilies
- 4 pods Cardamom
- 1 stick Cinnamon
- 8 Cloves
- 1 black Cardamom
- 1 teaspoon Nutmeg
- 1 piece Mace
- 1 star Anise
- 1 cup Onions fried
- 2 teaspoons Sesame seeds
- 1 pinch Saffron
- 1 cup Yogurt
How to cook the mutton:
- 3-4 tablespoons Oil
- 1 Bay Leaf
- 2-3 Cardamoms
- 1 stick Cinnamon small
- 3/4 cup Fried Onions
- 4 Tomatoes chopped
- 2 Green chilies finely chopped
Masala for the biryani:
- Make a powder of all the spices and add 1 cup yogurt to the powder and make a paste.
For the potatoes
- Cut 3-4 potatoes into halves and fry. Drain on paper towels
- In the instant pot 3-4 tablespoons of oil and add a bay leaf, 2-3 cardamoms, 1 cinnamon stick.
- When hot add 3/4 cup fried onions.
- Stir and add the mutton and the masala mixture and sauté for about 6-7 minutes.
- Now add 4 tomatoes crushed.
- Turn your instant pot into pressure cook mode and cook for 17 minutes and the quick release and add the potatoes and pressure cook for 2 more minutes. Quick release
- Rice: 4-5 cups.
- Wash your rice and soak in cool water for about 20 minutes
- Boil water in a large pot and add salt, a cardamom pod, 2 cloves and oil.
- When the water comes to a rolling boil add your rice and cook til almost done about 7-8 minutes.
- Drain the rice and set aside.
- In your serving dish layer the rice and cooked chicken.
- Start with a layer of rice and add the mutton mixture then add another layer of rice and then mutton and end with rice.
- Now in a separate dish add 1/4 cup milk, 1 teaspoon ghee and a healthy pinch of saffron and microwave it for 20 seconds.
- Mix and drizzle over the top of the rice.
- Cover with foil and place in an oven that’s preheated to 275 for about 20 minutes.
- Garnish with chopped cilantro, mint and chopped green chilies and serve.
Did you make this recipe?
Take a picture and please tag me at #sliceofgourmet. Your appreciation and pictures and tags inspires me to create more recipes for you all.