Fish and chips is a classic British dish that consists of deep-fried fish, usually cod or haddock, and chips (French fries). The fish is typically coated in a batter while the chips are made from potatoes that are sliced and then fried. The dish is traditionally served with salt and vinegar and sometimes also with tartar sauce or mushy peas.
One of the street food type meals that I love the most about London is their fish and chips. The best version of fish and chips was at a small shop in London outside Harrods that my sister took me to when I was visiting her. I just cannot seem to remember the name of it but let me tell you, it was one of the best fish and chips that I have ever had. They fried the fish to perfection. It was just the right amount of batter to fish ratio and the crunch was just right. I think I have finally found a recipe that takes me back to that shop without having to hop on an aeroplane. I am so excited to share this with you’ll and I hope it brings you as much joy as it brings me and mine
Fish and Chips
- Fish fillets
For The Batter:
- 4 tablespoons Corn starch
- 1/4 cup Flour
- 1 teaspoon Baking powder
- 1/2 cup Water
- 1/2 teaspoon Salt
- 1 Egg
- 1 Egg white
For the sauce:
- 1/2 cup Mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons Chili Garlic
- 1 tablespoon Ketchup
For the chips:
- Potatoes peeled and sliced to your desired width.
- All Purpose Flour
For The Batter:
- Blend all the ingredients very well.
For the chips:
- Place the flour in a ziplock bag and add the sliced potatoes and shake so they are all coated with flour
- Heat your oil on medium heat till the oil is hot.
- Cut your fish into the desired sizes and dip it into the batter mentioned above and place into hot oil.
- Do about 4 pieces at a time so you don’t overcrowd the pan.
- Cook about 5 minutes on each side or till done.
- Drain on paper towels
- Now place the potatoes in the oil and fry till done.
- Drain on paper towels.
- For the sauce. Mix all the sauce ingredients together and place it in a dipping bowl.
- Set your fish and chips with the sauce on a serving platter and enjoy.
Did you make this recipe?
We’d love to see it! Nothing brings us more joy than seeing home cooks recreate our recipes in their own kitchens. If you’ve made this recipe and you’re proud of it, we want to see it! Here’s how you can share your creation with us:
- Take a picture making sure to get all the details and colours.
- Head to Instagram and post the photo, making sure to tag us at @sliceofgourmet and use the hashtag #sliceofgourmet.
- In the caption, tell us about your experience making the recipe. Did you make any modifications? Did it turn out the way you expected? What did your family and friends think of it?
- Don’t forget to share your post in the comments below so we can see it too!
- We love seeing all the different variations of our recipes, so don’t be afraid to get creative and make it your own. We can’t wait to see your version and hear about your experience making it.
- And not just that, if you have any suggestions or feedback on how we can improve the recipe, please do let us know.
Cooking is a skill that can be learned and perfected with time. Before you plan your very next meal, take a look at the recipes shared in this food blog which includes various categories. From the main course to side dishes to specialized diets as well as dessert, brunch etc – You shall find lots of recipes across various categories. You may start with something simple and then step up. You may wind up discovering for all intents and purposes that you’re really ready to cook amazing dishes that you never thought you would be able to handle.
Sharing your creations with us is also a great way for other home cooks to discover new recipes and get inspiration for their own kitchens. So don’t be shy, post your recipe picture and let us see the deliciousness you’ve created! Your appreciation, photos and tags inspire me to create more recipes for you all.