Khao Suey is a Burmese dish. You begin with thin spaghetti drenched in an amazing coconut curry topped with spicy chicken, beef or veggies and garnished with an array of interesting toppings.
Words are insufficient to describe the deliciousness of this dish. Do you guys have any foods that bring back some amazing memories? Khao Suey brings back some fabulous memories for me. My mother-in-law used to make this for us when she would come to visit and we would always relish every bite as we would sit around the table and she would narrate funny stories about my husband’s childhood. Isn’t it amazing how the smallest gestures sometimes can fill our hearts with so much love? I hope you guys enjoy my family’s recipe of Khao suey as much as we do.
STEP 1: Preparing the Chicken
- 2 lbs Chicken chopped into pieces
- 4-5 Onions sliced
- 1/4-5 can Tomatoes diced/chopped
- 1.5 teaspoons Turmeric
- 3 teaspoons Garlic paste
- 2 teaspoons Ginger paste
- 1.5 teaspoons Cumin powder
- 2 teaspoons Red chili powder
- 1 teaspoon Garam masala
For the meat option:
- 2 lbs Beef for stew
Preparing the Curry:
- 1 tablespoon Garlic paste
- 2 teaspoons Mustard seeds
- 1/2 cup Yogurt
- 3-4 tablespoons Garam flour
- 2 cans Coconut milk
- 3 cups Water
- 4-5 Curry leaves
- 2 dried Red chilies
- 1 teaspoon Red chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon Turmeric powder
- 1 Jalapeno finely chopped
- 1/2 bunch Cilantro chopped
- 8-10 pods Garlic finely sliced and fried
- Onions fried
- Chaat masala
- Potatoes chopped, fried/sticks
- Spaghetti fried
- Lemon wedges
For the meat option:
- 2 lbs of beef for stew. In the instant pot pressure cook your beef for
- In a pan heat oil, add onions and saute them till they turn translucent.
- Now add the garlic paste, ginger paste, and tomatoes along with the spices (turmeric, cumin powder, red chili powder, and garam masala).
- Let the spices cook for 2-3 minutes. Do not add any water here.
- When the mixture turns into a slightly thick paste, add the chicken chops and stir well for 2 minutes.
- Add a little water here and let it cook on medium heat till the chicken becomes tender (takes approx. 20-25 minutes)
STEP 2: Preparing the Spaghetti
- Easy Peasy. Boiling Spaghetti should take you around 8 to 12 mins.
- Once the spaghetti is ready, set it aside.
Preparing the Curry:
- In a pan heat oil and when hot add curry leaves, mustard seeds & dried chilies.
- When the mustard seeds and curry leaves are done crackling, add the garlic paste.
- Saute for 30 seconds before pouring the coconut milk. keep the heat on.
- Separately, mix the gram flour with the yogurt in a bowl to make a clear yellow paste.
- Now slowly pour this yellow paste into the simmering mixture of coconut milk and spices.
- Let the curry simmer for 15 minutes and turn off the heat.
- Put your spaghetti in a bowl and drown it in the curry you prepared in Step 2.
- Place the chicken pieces on top and garnish with coriander leaves. Your art is ready to be served 🙂
We’d love to see it! Nothing brings us more joy than seeing home cooks recreate our recipes in their own kitchens. If you’ve made this recipe and you’re proud of it, we want to see it! Here’s how you can share your creation with us:
- Take a picture making sure to get all the details and colours.
- Head to Instagram and post the photo, making sure to tag us at @sliceofgourmet and use the hashtag #sliceofgourmet.
- In the caption, tell us about your experience making the recipe. Did you make any modifications? Did it turn out the way you expected? What did your family and friends think of it?
- Don’t forget to share your post in the comments below so we can see it too!
- We love seeing all the different variations of our recipes, so don’t be afraid to get creative and make it your own. We can’t wait to see your version and hear about your experience making it.
- And not just that, if you have any suggestions or feedback on how we can improve the recipe, please do let us know.
Cooking is a skill that can be learned and perfected with time. Before you plan your very next meal, take a look at the recipes shared in this food blog which includes various categories. From the main course to side dishes to specialized diets as well as dessert, brunch etc – You shall find lots of recipes across various categories. You may start with something simple and then step up. You may wind up discovering for all intents and purposes that you’re really ready to cook amazing dishes that you never thought you would be able to handle.
Sharing your creations with us is also a great way for other home cooks to discover new recipes and get inspiration for their own kitchens. So don’t be shy, post your recipe picture and let us see the deliciousness you’ve created! Your appreciation, photos and tags inspire me to create more recipes for you all.