Khow Suey (from Burmese: ခေါက်ဆွဲ), is a noodle soup made of noodles and curried chicken with coconut milk, served with a variety of garnishes. Khow Suey is a traditional Burmese dish that is a rich and flavorful combination of noodles, chicken, and a coconut-based curry sauce. It is a popular dish that is enjoyed throughout Myanmar, and is known for its unique blend of sweet, savory, and spicy flavors. A healthy squeeze of lemon is an absolute must to add to the tanginess to khow suey. For me, Khow Suey brings me to family dinners, the aroma of the spices filling the air & laughter and jokes around the table. I hope this becomes part of your memory book too. XO
Ingredients for the Chicken:
- 2 lbs Chicken cut in small pieces
- 4-5 Onions sliced
- 1 can Tomatoes diced
- 1.5 teaspoons Turmeric
- 3 teaspoons Garlic paste
- 2 teaspoons Ginger paste
- 1.5 teaspoon Cumin powder
- 2 teaspoons Red chili powder
- 1 teaspoon Garam masala
- 1 Lemon juice
- 3/4 cup Water
Ingredients for the Curry:
- 1 tablespoon Garlic paste
- 2 teaspoons Mustard seeds
- 1/2 cup Yogurt
- 3-4 tablespoons Gram flour
- 2 cans Coconut milk
- 3 cups Water
- 2 Curry leaves
- 2 Red chilies dried
- 1 teaspoon Red chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon Turmeric
- 3 pods Garlic thinly sliced
- 1 Jalapeno finely chopped
- 1/2 bunch Cilantro chopped
- 8-10 pods Garlic finely sliced and fried
- Fried onions
- Chaat masala
- Potato sticks
- Spaghetti fried
- Lemon wedges
Method for the Chicken:
- In a pan heat oil and add onions and when they become translucent add the garlic and tomatoes and all the rest of the spices.
- Let that cook for a few minutes and then add the chicken and stir well.
- Add the water and let it cook on medium heat till the water evaporates and the chicken is fully cooked.
- Squeeze the lemon juice on top and garnish with chopped cilantro.
- Boil till done and set aside
Method for the Curry:
- In a pan heat oil and when hot add curry leaves, mustard seeds, garlic slices & dried chilies.
- When I’m it turns color add the garlic and then the coconut milk.
- Blend the chickpea flour with the yogurt and add that to the coconut milk mixture.
- Now add your spices and let it simmer for 15 minutes.
- Garnish with cilantro.
Assembling your Khow Suey
- First put your cooked spaghetti in a bowl and drown in the coconut curry, top with the spicy chicken and last but not least, garnish with all the toppings.
Did you make this recipe?
We’d love to see it! Nothing brings us more joy than seeing home cooks recreate our recipes in their own kitchens. If you’ve made this recipe and you’re proud of it, we want to see it! Here’s how you can share your creation with us:
- Take a picture making sure to get all the details and colours.
- Head to Instagram and post the photo, making sure to tag us at @sliceofgourmet and use the hashtag #sliceofgourmet.
- In the caption, tell us about your experience making the recipe. Did you make any modifications? Did it turn out the way you expected? What did your family and friends think of it?
- Don’t forget to share your post in the comments below so we can see it too!
- We love seeing all the different variations of our recipes, so don’t be afraid to get creative and make it your own. We can’t wait to see your version and hear about your experience making it.
- And not just that, if you have any suggestions or feedback on how we can improve the recipe, please do let us know.
Cooking is a skill that can be learned and perfected with time. Before you plan your very next meal, take a look at the recipes shared in this food blog which includes various categories. From the main course to side dishes to specialized diets as well as dessert, brunch etc – You shall find lots of recipes across various categories. You may start with something simple and then step up. You may wind up discovering for all intents and purposes that you’re really ready to cook amazing dishes that you never thought you would be able to handle.
Sharing your creations with us is also a great way for other home cooks to discover new recipes and get inspiration for their own kitchens. So don’t be shy, post your recipe picture and let us see the deliciousness you’ve created! Your appreciation, photos and tags inspire me to create more recipes for you all.