Makhloubeh is a traditional Middle Eastern dish that is made with layers of rice, meat, and vegetables. The rice is typically cooked in a flavorful broth and the meat and vegetables are usually sautéed with spices before being added to the dish. When the dish is ready, it is removed from the oven and flipped upside down onto a large platter. This is the signature step of the dish, giving it its name “makhloubeh” which means “upside-down” in Arabic. It’s a great way to introduce new flavours to your family and friends, and it’s perfect for a family dinner or a special occasion. It’s a perfect dish to make if you’re looking to try something new, but still want to stick to familiar flavors.
Makhloubeh (Middle Eastern Rice Dish)
Seasoning for the rice:
- 2 cups Rice
- 1 cup Egyptian rice
- 1 tsp Cumin
- 1 tsp Turmeric
- 4 tsp Bullion vegetable paste
- 1 tsp All spice
- 1 tsp Cardamom powder
- 2 lbs Ground beef, lamb, chicken
- 2-3 tbsp Olive oil
- 4-6 cloves Crushed garlic
- 2 tbsp Tomato paste
- Red pepper crushed
- 1 Lemon juice
- 1 bunch Cilantro chopped fine
- 1 Onion chopped
- 1 tsp Cumin
- Cauliflower chopped
- 1 Zucchini chopped
- 1 Eggplant chopped
- 1 Onion chopped
- 1 Tomato sliced
- 3 cloves Garlic crushed
- 2 tsp Olive oil
- In a sauté pan heat oil and sauté onions and garlic till translucent.
- Now add the ground meat and spices and cook for about 10 min add the tomato paste and cook for a few more minutes. Set aside
- Boil 3 1/4 cups of water seasoned with everything under seasoning for rice.
- Boil till almost done. Set aside
- Heat your cast iron skillet and add oil.
- Put your all veggies except the cauliflower in there.
- Cover and let it cook.
- In the meantime roast your cauliflower in the oven.
- Drizzle with olive oil, salt and pepper and bake till done. Now mix it with the other veggies and do not cover it.
- Cook for about 5 minutes more. Set aside
- Now let’s assemble the makloubeh.
- Grease a deep sauce pan with olive oil.
- Now slice 2-3 tomatoes and layer the bottom so that there’s a nice layer of tomatoes covering the entire bottom of the pan.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- The next step is to spoon the meat gently over the tomatoes.
- Take a saucer or back of a serving spoon and pat it down so it’s nice and packed.
- Now you add the veggies and again pack it down.
- The final layer is the rice.
- Layer that then pack it.
- Put it on medium heat and let it cook through and let the flavors marry.
- Now the final step, you add your serving plate to the top of the saucepan and flip it.
- Gently remove the saucepan and voila you have a delicious makloubeh.
- Garnish with cilantro and pomegranate kernels.
Did you make this recipe?
We’d love to see it! Nothing brings us more joy than seeing home cooks recreate our recipes in their own kitchens. If you’ve made this recipe and you’re proud of it, we want to see it! Here’s how you can share your creation with us:
- Take a picture making sure to get all the details and colours.
- Head to Instagram and post the photo, making sure to tag us at @sliceofgourmet and use the hashtag #sliceofgourmet.
- In the caption, tell us about your experience making the recipe. Did you make any modifications? Did it turn out the way you expected? What did your family and friends think of it?
- Don’t forget to share your post in the comments below so we can see it too!
- We love seeing all the different variations of our recipes, so don’t be afraid to get creative and make it your own. We can’t wait to see your version and hear about your experience making it.
- And not just that, if you have any suggestions or feedback on how we can improve the recipe, please do let us know.
Cooking is a skill that can be learned and perfected with time. Before you plan your very next meal, take a look at the recipes shared in this food blog which includes various categories. From the main course to side dishes to specialized diets as well as dessert, brunch etc – You shall find lots of recipes across various categories. You may start with something simple and then step up. You may wind up discovering for all intents and purposes that you’re really ready to cook amazing dishes that you never thought you would be able to handle.
Sharing your creations with us is also a great way for other home cooks to discover new recipes and get inspiration for their own kitchens. So don’t be shy, post your recipe picture and let us see the deliciousness you’ve created! Your appreciation, photos and tags inspire me to create more recipes for you all.