Aaloo Cholay is a popular and delicious dish from Pakistan and India, that is traditionally made with chickpeas and potatoes. The Instant Pot allows you to cook the chickpeas and potatoes in a fraction of the time, while still producing a tender and flavorful dish. The dish is made with simple and wholesome ingredients like potatoes, chickpeas, tomatoes, onion, ginger, garlic, and a blend of traditional spices. It’s a vegan and gluten-free dish that can be served as a side or as a main course with rice, naan or chapati. This recipe for Aaloo Cholay Instant Pot will guide you through the process of making this delicious and comforting dish, and you’ll be amazed at how easy and delicious it is.
Aaloo Cholay (Spiced Chickpeas and Potatoes) Instant Pot Version
- 2 cups Chickpeas dried
- 2.5 tsp Cumin powder
- 2.5 tsp Corriander powder
- 3 tsp Amchoor (dried mango powder)
- 2 tsp Cumin seeds
- 2 tsp Kashmiri red chili powder
- 2 tsp Garam masala
- 1 tsp Turmeric
- 2 tbsp Avocado oil
- 1 Onion chopped
- 1 Bay leaf
- 6 cloves Garlic
- 2 tsp Ginger crushed
- 1 tsp Cayenne pepper
- 1 Black Cardamom
- 2.5 cups Water
- 2-3 Potatoes chopped
- Chaat masala
- Soak the dried chickpeas overnight or you can used canned chickpeas
- Press the sauté button and add oil and onions.
- Cook till translucent.
- Throw in your chopped potatoes.
- Add the ginger, garlic and tomatoes and cook till soft and fragrant.
- Now you’ll add all the other spices and chickpeas and stir in the water.
- Seal the instant pot and set to 40 min.
- Natural pressure release.
- Open your lid and stir.
- Now take the back of a wooden spatula and mush up a little bit of the chickpeas and potatoes.
- Stir and turn to saute mode.
- Taste it and add lemon juice and chaaat masala to taste.
- Once it reaches your desired thickness.
- Turn off sauté mode and garnish with cilantro.
Did you make this recipe?
We’d love to see it! Nothing brings us more joy than seeing home cooks recreate our recipes in their own kitchens. If you’ve made this recipe and you’re proud of it, we want to see it! Here’s how you can share your creation with us:
- Take a picture making sure to get all the details and colours.
- Head to Instagram and post the photo, making sure to tag us at @sliceofgourmet and use the hashtag #sliceofgourmet.
- In the caption, tell us about your experience making the recipe. Did you make any modifications? Did it turn out the way you expected? What did your family and friends think of it?
- Don’t forget to share your post in the comments below so we can see it too!
- We love seeing all the different variations of our recipes, so don’t be afraid to get creative and make it your own. We can’t wait to see your version and hear about your experience making it.
- And not just that, if you have any suggestions or feedback on how we can improve the recipe, please do let us know.
Cooking is a skill that can be learned and perfected with time. Before you plan your very next meal, take a look at the recipes shared in this food blog which includes various categories. From the main course to side dishes to specialized diets as well as dessert, brunch etc – You shall find lots of recipes across various categories. You may start with something simple and then step up. You may wind up discovering for all intents and purposes that you’re really ready to cook amazing dishes that you never thought you would be able to handle.
Sharing your creations with us is also a great way for other home cooks to discover new recipes and get inspiration for their own kitchens. So don’t be shy, post your recipe picture and let us see the deliciousness you’ve created! Your appreciation, photos and tags inspire me to create more recipes for you all.