Persian Rice and Kababs
- 4 cups Rice washed
- 2 tbsp EVOO
- pinch Saffron mixed in 1/4 cup of hot water
- Pomegranate seeds
- 2 lbs Ground Beef
- Onion pureed
- Lemon juice
For the rice:
- Boil rice till al dente and drain.
- Add evoo into the pot and make sure the bottom is covered.
- Put it on medium heat.
- Add the rice into the pot, poke some holes in the rice with the back of a spatula almost to the bottom of the pot to release steam and cover.
- When steam rises to the lid of the pot (this is easy to tell with a clear lid, otherwise wait about 5 minutes) remove the lid and drizzle the melted butter/olive oil along with the saffron-water mixture over the top
- Replace the lid with a large folded napkin or kitchen towel placed directly under it.
- Tighten the lid.
- The towel underneath it will catch the steam.
- After about 5 minutes, turn heat to medium-low and heat for about 30 minutes or until the pot sizzles when you splash a couple drops of water on the side of it, whichever happens last.
- Remove from heat. Add to serving platter.
For the kababs:
- Mix beef, pureed onion, salt, pepper, and turmeric and saffron in a bowl.
- In a large non-stick pan over medium-high heat, heat olive oil and spread it around the pan.
- Add the beef mixture and spread it out to form a flat ½ inch thick layer.
- You then cook the beef mixture on medium heat with a lid on and after it’s cooked through, remove the lid and cut the beef into long patties then flip them over to sear the other side without the lid.
- I like a good char so I increase my heat at this time.
- Once the beef is done remove and set on top of rice add a bit more oil to the pan if needed and place tomatoes quartered and onions and peppers quartered onto the pan till you get a char.
- Remove from heat and add to sides of dish Dust sumac on top of the rice and add a little butter.
- Throw on some pomegranate kernels.
- Take some saffron water and drizzle on top of kababs.