Persian Rice and Kababs is a delicious and satisfying meal that combines fragrant basmati rice with marinated meat skewers. The rice is cooked with saffron and a variety of herbs and spices, giving it a unique and flavorful taste. The kababs are typically made with beef, lamb, or chicken and are marinated in a blend of spices and yogurt, making them tender and juicy. This dish is often served with a variety of sides such as yogurt, herbs, and grilled tomatoes, making it a complete and satisfying meal. It is perfect for a special occasion or a casual dinner with friends and family.
Persian Rice and Kababs
- 4 cups Rice washed
- 2 tbsp EVOO
- pinch Saffron mixed in 1/4 cup of hot water
- Pomegranate seeds
- 2 lbs Ground Beef
- Onion pureed
- Lemon juice
For the rice:
- Boil rice till al dente and drain.
- Add evoo into the pot and make sure the bottom is covered.
- Put it on medium heat.
- Add the rice into the pot, poke some holes in the rice with the back of a spatula almost to the bottom of the pot to release steam and cover.
- When steam rises to the lid of the pot (this is easy to tell with a clear lid, otherwise wait about 5 minutes) remove the lid and drizzle the melted butter/olive oil along with the saffron-water mixture over the top
- Replace the lid with a large folded napkin or kitchen towel placed directly under it.
- Tighten the lid.
- The towel underneath it will catch the steam.
- After about 5 minutes, turn heat to medium-low and heat for about 30 minutes or until the pot sizzles when you splash a couple drops of water on the side of it, whichever happens last.
- Remove from heat. Add to serving platter.
For the kababs:
- Mix beef, pureed onion, salt, pepper, and turmeric and saffron in a bowl.
- In a large non-stick pan over medium-high heat, heat olive oil and spread it around the pan.
- Add the beef mixture and spread it out to form a flat ½ inch thick layer.
- You then cook the beef mixture on medium heat with a lid on and after it’s cooked through, remove the lid and cut the beef into long patties then flip them over to sear the other side without the lid.
- I like a good char so I increase my heat at this time.
- Once the beef is done remove and set on top of rice add a bit more oil to the pan if needed and place tomatoes quartered and onions and peppers quartered onto the pan till you get a char.
- Remove from heat and add to sides of dish Dust sumac on top of the rice and add a little butter.
- Throw on some pomegranate kernels.
- Take some saffron water and drizzle on top of kababs.
Did you make this recipe?
We’d love to see it! Nothing brings us more joy than seeing home cooks recreate our recipes in their own kitchens. If you’ve made this recipe and you’re proud of it, we want to see it! Here’s how you can share your creation with us:
- Take a picture making sure to get all the details and colours.
- Head to Instagram and post the photo, making sure to tag us at @sliceofgourmet and use the hashtag #sliceofgourmet.
- In the caption, tell us about your experience making the recipe. Did you make any modifications? Did it turn out the way you expected? What did your family and friends think of it?
- Don’t forget to share your post in the comments below so we can see it too!
- We love seeing all the different variations of our recipes, so don’t be afraid to get creative and make it your own. We can’t wait to see your version and hear about your experience making it.
- And not just that, if you have any suggestions or feedback on how we can improve the recipe, please do let us know.
Cooking is a skill that can be learned and perfected with time. Before you plan your very next meal, take a look at the recipes shared in this food blog which includes various categories. From the main course to side dishes to specialized diets as well as dessert, brunch etc – You shall find lots of recipes across various categories. You may start with something simple and then step up. You may wind up discovering for all intents and purposes that you’re really ready to cook amazing dishes that you never thought you would be able to handle.
Sharing your creations with us is also a great way for other home cooks to discover new recipes and get inspiration for their own kitchens. So don’t be shy, post your recipe picture and let us see the deliciousness you’ve created! Your appreciation, photos and tags inspire me to create more recipes for you all.